Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 11:28 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 06 janvier 2009 à 13:10 +1100, Andrew Cowie a écrit :
> > Regardless, GNOME is not "switching" to anything. If GNOME
> > infrastructure is going to offer Git hosting, that's lovely for people
> > who chose to use Git as their version control system. {shrug} fine. If
> > GNOME infrastructure concurrently disables their Subversion hosting
> > and/or people stop pushing their changes there, then that's perhaps a
> > bit worse, because it means people in all three systems (+ svn makes
> > four) will lose the easy way they have of collaborating. But again,
> > whatever.
>
> This is the point that makes me the most uneasy about a switch.
> Currently, people can use whatever tool they know best (be it svn, svk,
> bzr, git, hg or darcs) on top of a svn repository.

I must say that bzr-playground is very nicely put and a good
proof-of-concept of this.  Maybe the DVCS "switch" should move more
along these lines: provide branch mirrors in other protocols besides
svn.

>  That makes git users
> angry since git-svn doesn’t work so well.
>
> So instead of improving the said tool, git users want the repository to
> switch to git instead. Which means it will only be accessible with git
> (and with bzr using bzr-git). Users of other tools will just be screwed.

ALso keep in mind bzr-git is still very experimental.

> It’s not as if it mattered to me that much; I’m using tools much
> crappier than git on a daily basis, and I’m sure I’ll be able to deal
> with it. But if you really think that casual contributors or translators
> will contribute as easily as they can today, I can only say “bwahahaha”.
> I find svn to be still the easiest to use of that list, and while bzr
> and hg have made laudable efforts in terms of usability, bringing them
> on par to or better than svn in several areas, the same can’t be said of
> git.
>
> I find it also interesting to see developers of a project for which
> usability is a prime goal choose the less usable VCS tool at their
> disposal.

Nicely put.  Bonus points for saying it politely :-)

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
"The universe is always one step beyond logic" -- Frank Herbert