Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 17:53 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> I’m more worried about the applet. While I perfectly understand the
> benefits gnome-volume-control can have by using PA directly, there is
> nothing in the applet’s UI that will be improved this way. Why not keep
> the current GStreamer code, porting it to a notification icon if you
> find it better? It would also be more consistent with the sound setting
> in gnome-settings-daemon.

There's a bit more.

With some sound hardware on certain laptops, internal speakers and
headphone output are controlled by different mixer channels even though
the input is the same. Also there exists some hardware that may need
some retouching with some mixer channels called, switches.

With the latest gnome-volume-control there's no visible way to configure
other mixer channels when using pulseaudio.

This causes some annoyances, like, no sound from headphones while
internal speakers shows no problems.

Removing the old fashioned multi-slider mixer in favor of a much simpler
UI sounds like a good idea; but considering these regressions I'm
worried too.
--
Enver