Re: Brasero improvements over the 2.26 release cycle

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 01:19 +0000, Luis Medinas wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After the previous discussion about proposing Brasero for GNOME 2.26 the
> Brasero has made lot's of improvements based on some feedback from the
> community.
>
> So right now we released two releases during the 2.25 cycle and added
> this important features:
>
> - Nautilus extension (based on the current ncb), there are some
> applications that put the files on burn:/// with this extension Brasero
> replaces ncb and Burn the media.

You copied some old code, you have no icons, or hints.

> - Split Brasero into a library (available on trunk) named
> libbrasero-media that is being documented (devhelp) and re-arranged so
> we can deliver a stable API.

The library isn't usable in Rhythmbox or sound-juicer, as it conflicts
with their license (GPLv2 vs. GPLv2 + exception).

> - Lot's of bug fixes (Can be seen on NEWS and Changelog)
> - Submitted a Totem[1] plugin, Rhythmbox[2] plugin and Sound-Juicer[3]
> work to replace ncb by brasero using the new library in addiction to
> other applications already using Brasero (Banshee, exaile etc...).

The Rhythmbox plugin isn't good enough to replace the current ncb based
one, as it lacks integration (it writes a playlist file, and launches
brasero itself).

> - Followed and completed Gnome Goals in time.
> - Consistent releases with the current unstable release cycle.
>
> With this we archived almost all feedback made by the community we
> always expect to improve GNOME and would be glad to help.
> In the future we expect to make the library better documented, add
> language bindings, support for more formats etc...
> Thanks for all the people involved on the feedback, help tested,
> submitted bugs and translate.

The Rhythmbox plugin isn't integrated enough to replace the original
one. The Totem will probably be merged after the last round of updates.

I'm still concerned about the reasons why brasero didn't use
libnautilus-burn and extend on top of it, instead of starting their own
library.

Cheers