Re: RSS engine

2009-01-28 klockan 10:23 skrev Cosimo Cecchi:
> On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 20:26 -0500, Neil wrote:
> > The ideal, I think, would be if GNOME already had an engine/API that
> > could be used for RSS content.  I did read somewhere that WebKit could
> > be the answer to this.  Is that true?  If not, would it be crazy to
> > look at developing some kind of simple framework for developing RSS
> > content?
> There's also a GObject-based RSS parser [1] that could help with your
> project. I never used it myself, but it looks quite nice.
> [1] http://github.com/chergert/rss-glib/wikis

Without having looked at that project at all, I'm 99% sure that the
Universal Feed Parser from feedparser.org is better for parsing random feeds
from the web. Syndication formats are a simple concept and not too hard to
generate if you know what you're doing, but they are *hard* to parse since
there is so much invalid crap out there in the wild. Feed Parser goes
through great pains trying to extract data from malformed feeds, and it does
so by applying many (hacky) heuristics.

That said, rss-glib is probably useful if you want to integrate RSS
functionality to handle reasonably well-formed feeds into your GLib
application.

    — Wouter (yes, I have quite some experience with this)