Re: Shell and applets

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Jonh Wendell<jwendell gnome org> wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> What's going to happen with GNOME Panel applets with GNOME Shell and
> 3.0?
>
> Do they need to be rewritten or something?

Yeah, it's mostly blocking on design.  It's unclear to me whether
we'll have enough space in the top panel for applets.   My take here
is that if you want arbitrary UI, a ~20 pixel high panel is just too
constraining, so the right thing is a "widget" system, in an optional
sidebar (which does exist now).   Some of the others we might as well
move into tray icons, others probably make more sense as
extensions/plugins to the shell.