Re: Mutter with proprietary OpenGL/ES library ??

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 00:41:21 +0200
Pascal Terjan <pterjan gmail com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Matteo Settenvini<matteo member fsf org> wrote:
> > IANAL too, but I'm not sure it fits. It's questionable if it is a
> > system component you can't live without, like glibc.
> > However, that's just my opinion.
>
> Well you can live without glibc, use dietlibc for example :)

System component may not help you: the GPL purposefully says "**unless
that component itself accompanies the executable.**"

so if you are trying to ship a device for example containing all the bits
it won't help you.

More fundamentally GPL code is code that has been provided as part of a
community to be shared and used to build other code that will be shared
likewise. Trying to find ways around the licence is just plain unethical,
and rude to those who contributed the stuff.