Re: GNOME and non-linux platforms (release team please stand up)

Le mercredi 22 juillet 2009, à 14:16 +0200, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 22.07.2009, 12:50 +0100 schrieb Christian Fredrik
> Kalager Schaller:
> > A topic that was discussed in the hallways in Gran Canaria is the fact
> > that GNOME has gone from not letting non-linux platforms hold back
> > development of features (ie. introduction of HAL) to making choices that
> > basically means we are abandoning any attempts of allowing GNOME to run
> > on non-linux platforms.
> >
> > The switch from HAL to udev is maybe the clearest one
>
> "The (D-Bus) interface of the subsystem daemons, that is
> DeviceKit-disks, DeviceKit-power, is not in any way Linux specific. We
> will take patches for other operating systems."[1]

AFAIK, we only depend on stuff where it's possible to have a backend on
non-linux platforms. As Lennart mentioned, it's the case with PA. As
Andre explains, it's also the case for DK. Are there cases where this is
not true?

Also, if I remember correctly, in the early hal days, there was only a
linux backend and people had to step up to provide other backends --
it's a similar situation today (I can understand it's probably annoying
for the people who have to write those backends, btw)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.