Re: GNOME and non-linux platforms (release team please stand up)

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM, David Zeuthen<david fubar dk> wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you say, except:

>  b. Everything in the core platform _needs_ to work on all three major
>    platforms:
>    - POSIX/X11

This isn't a platform really.  Which is really the entire debate here.
 They're enough, along with maybe a file monitoring API, to write the
classic "shared Unix server desktop, complete with file manager,
clock, and panel".  But beyond that - enterprise (let alone consumer)
laptops in particular, no way.

If you guys working on DeviceKit-* are willing to have different
backends, then that sounds fine.  It's not a complete answer, but it
fills in the massive gap that removing HAL left.  If not, then we have
to think about the story GNOME is going to tell here.  Maybe it just
ends up being gnome-power-manager isn't even added to the session if
there's no DK-power, and vendors have to fill in that gap on their
own, i.e. it'd be renamed gnome-dk-power-manager, and someone else
could come by and add a different daemon.