Re: GNOME and non-linux platforms (release team please stand up)

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:52 PM, William Jon McCann <william jon mccann gmail com> wrote:
Hey Jason,

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Jason D. Clinton<me jasonclinton com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:
>>
>> So if it turns out that the GNOME community like the general direction
>> we've suggested for the control center, then sure, I'd certainly like to see
>> us widen out the discussion to visual panels as well.
>
> Has there been any movement with regard to the mouse-over pop-up menu
> criticism that I pointed out--that it breaks the metaphor and there's no
> precedent for it? There wasn't any response on the blog post[1] from the
> parties involved with creating the mock-up. Another criticism--not mine--was
> the 90 degree rotated text for category naming. I didn't see a response to
> that either. Communication needs to be two-way.
>
> [1] http://blogs.gnome.org/calum/2009/07/14/control-center-refresh/

This is pretty far off topic.  I think discussing a control center
design is really important.  But it should probably happen here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomecc-list/2009-July/msg00007.html

I am not on gnome-cc and have no desire to be. I didn't bring this topic up and I think it's entirely relevant since Sun is essentially saying here that they are offering up some two-way cooperation--the topic of the thread. Those criticisms need to be addressed--even if it's just saying there's a good counterargument that will be coming at some later point--if they aren't going to replied to in the location in which critiques were solicited.

On another note, there are now just as many emails in my GMail view of this conversation about the thread as there are of the thread itself (many of them are off-list seething hate mail from current and former Sun and Red Hat employees). By my count, there would be a 36% less noise in this thread if people would stop appointing themselves d-d-l police. Incidentally, this is the same reason that #gnome-hackers is now practically dead--everyone is so afraid of offending un-written, ambiguous rules of content on #gnome-hackers (apparently enforced at a whim vis-a-vis the ban of Rupert) that no one talks at all.