Re: GNOME Menus restructuring

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 22:13, Nirbheek
Chauhan<nirbheek chauhan gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu sugarlabs org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 22:01, Nirbheek
>> Chauhan<nirbheek chauhan gmail com> wrote:

>>> Is this a rhetorical question or a genuine question?
>>
>> 100 percent genuine question. Not sure where you see the confusion,
>> care to elaborate?
>>

> Rhetorical question in the sense that the way you phrased the
> question, it seemed to me as though you were talking about the
> perceived "gnome habit" of removing options at every chance.
>
> Maybe I was just edgy from reading all the FUD about GNOME 3 I saw
> everywhere I looked. :)
>
> In the context of Sugar, do you see the GNOME shell becoming simple
> enough for use as the Sugar Shell? Maybe that's why you asked the
> question?

Not really sure, Sugar doesn't intend to be the best desktop for all
ages, we "just" want to give the best experience for a quite specific
age range. It's also important for us that it also gives a good
experience in cheap and small laptops as well as in quite old
machines.

Ideally you would be able to avoid any settings by autodetecting
optimal values and by clever user experience design. In practice you
won't be able to avoid all of them, but some that were needed in past
releases might become unnecessary in later releases, much more likely
if you are redesigning the whole experience and you have better
integration to the base system through *Kit stuf.

Regards,

Tomeu