Re: GNOME Menus restructuring

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 13:31 +0400, Alexey Rusakov wrote:
> В Срд, 29/07/2009 в 11:18 +0200, Rodrigo Moya пишет:
> > On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 13:04 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > We have done essentially this (with the extra Preferences menu in
> > > between) for a few releases in Fedora, and we have gone back to using
> > > a single Preferences menu by default now. The two main problems we
> > > faced with this are
> > >
> > > 1) deep menus are hard (your approach kinda avoids this by nuking Preferences)
> > >
> > > 2) The categories are not clear enough to find what you are looking
> > > for without constantly strolling through several submenus.
> > >
> > > I don't think any amount of reorganization will make the menus really
> > > good. A menu system is just not a good fit for this amount of data
> > > that is not very strictly categorized.
> > >
> > > I'd rather see us focus on moving away from these menus via
> > > gnome-shell and  and new control-center shell.
> > >
> > I think all those menus could perfectly be replaced by a 'Control
> > Center' menu item, and then have the control center shell provide an
> > easy way to search for stuff
> Control Center as it is now takes even more of screen estate; besides it
> is a separate application, so the action that is now two-click for me
> (open the menu; find and activate the necessary item) becomes
> three-click (open the menu; run Control Center, another window opens;
> find and activate the necessary item). Moreover, the task termination
> sequence from one-click (close the settings window) becomes two-click
> (close the settings window; close the Control Center window). Don't see
> how a user wins in this approach.

well, that's if you know which tool you need to start. But when looking
for stuff, it becomes much more than 2-clicks, since you'll need to
click a menu item, a window opens, look for stuff on that window, close
it, and repeat again until you find what you're looking for.

If the control center capplets provide a list of keywords in
their .desktop file, searching for 'mouse cursor' on the control center
shell search would show the correct tool that the user needs to start.

I think something like that is a big win for most users, if done right

--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>