Re: Trying a new toolbar style

On 07/29/2009 09:51 AM, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> Hmm, yes that definitely looks different than I expected. I am not
> entirely sure though if it makes sense to have labels in the toolbar at
> all because it would be way better if icons would be self-explaining.

Right. The idea isn't "label the confusing icons and don't label the
good ones". You're supposed to label the important/frequently-used
icons, thereby (a) making them easier-to-notice by being stylistically
different from the less important icons, (b) making them
easier-to-identify by having two different ways to recognize them
instead of only one, and (c) making them easier-to-click by making them
bigger, per Fitts's Law.

-- Dan