Re: Metacity, Mutter, GNOME Shell, GNOME-2.28

Owen:

I just don't think it makes sense to code GNOME Shell to the limitations
of other pieces of the software stack. The effort to fix the other
pieces of the stack - to create free software ways of doing thin clients
with a composited snazzy desktop - is going to be comparable or less
then the extra effort we'd need to put into GNOME Shell, and the end
result is much better.

And the same applies to virtualized desktops, but more so. Don't put the
effort into avoiding 3D. Put the effort into making 3D work.

As a general rule, I agree with you.  However, there are bound to be a
few 3D features that do not work well in low-network-latency
environments.  I think it would be unreasonable to expect that such
users (and users in general) won't want some degree of configuration
control to make the desktop as usable as possible.

However, such configuration should obviously be kept to a minimum and
only when there is a strong use case for supporting it, I'd think.

Brian