Re: new dependencies in gvfs

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 19:16 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> David just merged the DeviceKit backend into gvfs, which means that
> gvfs will now depend on gnome-disk-utility and DeviceKit-disks.
>
> David will hopefully post something about some of the cool
> things we get with this. This mail is more about the dry bureaucratic
> aspects of this change...
>
> The new dependencies are only conditional. The hal backend is still
> there, so nobody will be rushed to switch to DeviceKit. Currently, the
> new backend is built automatically when configure finds the necessary
> dependencies, but there is a --en/disable-gdu option to force things.
>
> I'd like to add the new dependencies to our list of external deps (and
> to the jhbuild external-deps moduleset).
>
> Comments ?

I, for one, would like to welcome our new disk management overlords.

also, in reference to the gnome-utils plans I mailed to gnome-utils-list
last month[1], I'd also say that gfloppy's life (or, better, the end
thereof) is pretty much tied to DeviceKit-disks and gnome-disk-utility.
hence, I'd love to get gnome-disk-utility as part of GNOME's desktop
suite so that we can finally have a modern disk management.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

+++

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-utils-list/2009-April/msg00002.html