Re: fast-forward only policy

Hi

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeenix gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I was one of the happiest person on this planet the day we moved to
> git and i can't thanks the people involved enough. Although overall i
> am pretty happy with the migration, I do have one concern: The policy
> of disallowing non-fastforward pushes to any branch. I understand that
> this is good for master and other stable branches, but otoh I think it
> breaks the usual git workflow for feature branches.
>
>  I had a little chat with Owen regarding this:
>
> == IRC LOG BEGIN==
> <zeenix> owen: hi, are we sure about this 'only fastforward for all
> branches' policy?
> <owen> zeenix: Well, if we had a way of figuring out that some
> branches where feature branches not maintenance branches, then we
> could conceivablly allow rebasing those branches
>  zeenix: But not sure how to do that. I suppose we could say if there
> are no numbers in the branch name it's a feature branch, but that
> would make thigns weird if you had a branch 'bonobo-removal-2' or
> something
> <zeenix> owen: or you could make developer put some specific prefix in
> the name of feature branches?
> <owen> would be a bit ugly if all our branches were named feature-*
> <owen> zeenix: feel free to mail suggestions for a policy to
> gnome-infrastructure
> <zeenix> ok, will do
> ==IRC LOG END==
>
>   I am sending this mail here cause I thought it might be better to
> have a discussion on this and so that other developers can speak-up if
> they (dis)agree.

Since we are supposed to have "[project]-[MAJOR]-[MINOR]" for stable
branches (see http://live.gnome.org/Git/Developers), what about
limiting policy to those + "master" ?

(also, deleting the feature branches should be possible)

regards,

--
Marc-André Lureau
Sent from Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland