Re: New Module Proposal. libseed

Hi,

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Xan Lopez <xan gnome org> wrote:

> Owen has said that he'd only really miss destructuring assignment I
> think, your opinion is that 'let' is a deal breaker?

I'm not saying anything is a dealbreaker, just that I don't agree with
the arguments against language extensions.
'let' and destructuring assignment are two notable extensions I think
are worthwhile and in good taste.

Others are:
 * E4X
 * the functional stuff (Array.map, forEach, reduce, filter, some, etc.)
 * inheritance via __proto__ assignment (works in JSC too, but not all web)
 * generators

If we say we have to not only support spidermonkey and JSC, but any
future hypothetical JS implementation, then we're really committing to
not only not using language extensions, but _never_ using or creating
extensions. Basically have to wait for Microsoft to agree with changes
at ECMA before using them.

So, I just don't agree with the argument, for GNOME. It may well make
sense from a perspective just of WebKit.

Havoc