Re: Platform

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 11:36 +0000, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Stefan Kost, Mon, 18 May 2009 22:39:21 +0300:
> > Now that apple has closed the whole bonjour stack, I would prefer to
> > build on upnp. We have gupnp, which is actively developed and fitting
> > nicely here.
>
> a) Nothing can be more closed than closed ... which Microsoft's UPNP IIRC.

IIRC, UPnP is as closed as Zeroconf: not at all.  Both are
implementatations of open specifications.  Unless someone can produce
pantents there is no reason to consider either protocols closed.

> b) UPNP is known security threat and the only sensible advice to anybody
> caring a bit about security is to switch it off (on Windows, don't know
> the situation on Linux).

Well, it's a security threat if you use it for things which should be
secure.  Don't. (this means turning off upnp on your router if you care
about this).

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                           www: http://burtonini.com