mDNS vs Upnp was Re: Platform

I can't help but feel that this discussion about Avahi versus gupnp is
rather construed. Most application developers will go looking for either
of these technologies because they want to interoperate with a specific
set of non-GNOME devices. If you want your video player to be able to
send video directly to a DLNA certified TV for instance you probably
couldn't care less whether Avahi is the officially blessed stack for
these sort of things, cause Avahi doesn't do what you need it to do. And
the other way around if you are trying to integrate with Apple hardware
you wouldn't give a damn if gupnp was the official stack for these sort
of things as it wouldn't do what you need it to.

The only usecase where a developer might care which one is 'officially
blessed' would be in the GNOME to GNOME usecase, but I honestly believe
that is a tiny minority of the usecases.

Christian