Re: New module proposal: tracker

On 06/11/09 09:41, Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 17:21 +0000, Martyn Russell wrote:
   - We changed the locations that are indexed by default from $HOME to
     use XDG user dirs for documents, desktop, music, pictures and videos.
     So the focus has changed slightly to the things you most likely want
     indexed instead of EVERYTHING. Of course adding EVERYTHING into the
     config doesn't escape the fact that inotify is limiting us.

This is kind of nice. Would it be possible to in addition to these
monitor $HOME non-recursively? Or maybe just one level down? That way
you would get most "typical" documents, but not descend into huge source
trees or whatnot.

Hej Alex,

Right now, we have a IndexSingleDirectories config option which could include $HOME and that's available already. Specifying depth is something we could do relatively easily, but we would need to add some work to make it configurable.

   - In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it is that important to
     fix as Lennart says. I don't consider myself a normal user and I
     don't even breach the inotify limit (I come close though with all the
     project sources monitored). I personally would much rather have an
     Tracker which is fast to query/update and has good coverage on the
     metadata it extracts as a priority over supporting EXTREME use cases.

I think the inotify issue is only part of the problem. Whats needed is
generic work on Tracker and/or the kernel so that its possible to run it
while not affecting system performance as much. This kind of lowlevel
work is hard, but I see it as really important, because as soon as there
is any disturbance to general system performance when Tracker-indexer
runs a majority of people will remove it because they won't think its
indispensible (since they haven't even started using it much). This
leads to a Moment 22 thing where people not using it leads to
applications not supporting it and thus it not having interesting app
integration and thus leading to less users.

We have spent a lot of time over the past 6 months improving this. I would say 0.7 is streets ahead of what 0.6 used to be like in this regard. I think to some extent it depends on your data set but I don't notice tracker 0.7 working in the background on my home machine or laptop (other than the icon that updates of course) and I tend to have it watching my source directories while I work.

There might be more that we can do in this regard, but a lot of effort has been put in this area because on a device like the n900, you can't afford to hog CPU when on a phone call (for example).

--
Regards,
Martyn