Re: New module proposal: tracker

On 06/11/09 10:07, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 10:41:42AM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 17:21 +0000, Martyn Russell wrote:
On 29/10/09 15:23, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:

I agree it needs fixing, but there are a number of things to consider here:

   - FANotify is being worked on by Red Hat and will be in the kernel for
     us to use at some point - and we will adopt it then (I believe it
     almost made it into the latest Fedora but didn't so should be in the
     next release)

   - We changed the locations that are indexed by default from $HOME to
     use XDG user dirs for documents, desktop, music, pictures and videos.
     So the focus has changed slightly to the things you most likely want
     indexed instead of EVERYTHING. Of course adding EVERYTHING into the
     config doesn't escape the fact that inotify is limiting us.

This is kind of nice. Would it be possible to in addition to these
monitor $HOME non-recursively? Or maybe just one level down? That way
you would get most "typical" documents, but not descend into huge source
trees or whatnot.

   This is unwise, IMO. Every person I know, when have to deal with many
documents, organise them in hierarchical directories. Often few levels
deep. Limiting indexer only to toplevel and one level below top will
effect in missing much of the documents.

This very much depends on the user and how they make use of their $HOME directory. Alex is right for the most part. Tracker is clever enough to know where there are configuration duplicates too, so if the config has &DOCUMENTS (using the XDG spec to know where they are), it will realise that it is in $HOME/Documents (on Ubuntu at least) and *recursively* index those. Now if we do $HOME 2 levels deep, it means we catch all the other places where we created odd directories off $HOME. It is still entirely possible to index recursively $HOME and I don't see any problem with that. The exception is when people have a crazy number of files.

   Conversely, people who can live with all documents in single directory
probably don't have many documents. For them, indexer isn't much help.

I couldn't disagree more :)

People who put their documents all in one place are usually users that don't care so much WHERE they end up and just want to save them in the default location. Ultimately, if you don't care about the hierarchy of your documents, the indexer becomes more beneficial when you want to find something (only with a lot of documents I agree).

This all depends on people's way of working. I have started using the tracker-search-bar applet a lot more. I find it incredibly useful for finding that document when on a call or quickly. On this note, I recently updated it to search based on keystroke timeouts so it has interactive searching and the queries are better too, listing the top 5 ranking documents.

--
Regards,
Martyn