Tracker and NFS (was Re: New module proposal: tracker)

Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 19:11 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

>>> There's a tracker-store listening system-wide?
>> Hmm, that's a good point.
>>
>> I guess you'll have to iterate over all users and foreach
>>
>>  su $user -c tracker-sparql -q -u $qry
>>
>> I understand that this is not nice :(. But indeed, tracker-store isn't
>> system-wide, instead it's per user.
>
> That won't work because you won't have access to the session D-Bus, and
> certainly wouldn't work with, say, 1k users with NFS home dirs.

Taking this in a slightly different direction, in the Codethink office
we've been considering the network case. For thin client systems we
think it'd make more sense to run the indexer on the file server and,
instead of running a local tracker-store, have a dbus service that
provides the same interface but does the query remotely on the server.

Of course, this starts to lead us into the permissions side of RDF (aka
quad stores) which is currently a) unimplemented in Tracker and b) needs
 quite a bit of thought.

Thanks,
Rob