Re: Appearance properties

Le mardi 10 novembre 2009 à 16:36 +0000, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 17:23 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > Le 10/11/2009 15:23, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
> <snip>
> > It is quite simple : this change affected all ISV (we could say inkscape
> > was an ISV for instance, or Firefox) which were using GTK+, without any
> > kind of prior notification to be able to fix their application.
> >
> > That is the reason why I had to revert the "icon in button" and "icon in
> > menu" on Mandriva Linux 2010.
>
> Vendors had 4 months head-way to test for changes, and fix them. If 4
> months isn't enough, I'm not sure how much advance warning we need to
> give for something so easily fixable.

The issue here is too few people are running dev version of GNOME
desktop. Also lots of people just assumed that it was a stupid bug that
will quickly be fixed.

Also we don't have ML to announce the big changes in GNOME. A little
email can easily be sent to ddl without being really noticed by users
and third parties.

Did you announced that setting change before apply the patch and waited
for advices? Did you announce that interface tab is going to be removed?
I'm not even sure that was on ddl... and even if that was the case, I
think it's not enough...

Xavier Claessens.