On Ctrl+tab

Hi,

Hope everyone's doing fine. It's been rather silent lately. Not asking for flames, but lets get some discussion going :).

There have been many requests on various GNOME apps to switch tabs using ctrl-tab, or at least allow using ctrl-tab as an accelerator that can be used to switch tabs. They have all been CLOSED WONTFIX consistently. The reason for not doing that by default is that currently ctrl+tab is used to change focus when tab itself is consumed by a widget (text area, etc. vte currently doesn't do that, but that's a separate bug. Bug #602665). Not allowing ctrl+tab as an accelerator is more delicate but essentially the same reason.

ChPe writes in bug 123994:

"No Gnome MDI application does this. In fact, this has been explicitly
rejected every time it's come up; see e.g. epiphany bug 122467 (+ some
non-marked dups), gnome-terminal in bug 123994, gedit bug 314646, empathy bug
586831, nautilus bug 597096."

To which a GNOME user replied:

"Well, if it keeps coming up and users are asking for it, maybe its the
GNOME/GTK policy that is wrong?"

As a user, I tend to agree with that sentiment. While I understand the usefulness of ctrl+tab, it's not as handy and useful as rotating between tabs.
So, what can we do about it?

Cheers,
behdad