Character Palette: country-specific palettes?

Dear Gnome Desktop devs,

(This e-mail is about the Character Palette panel applet; I have done
my best to choose the right mailing list. If this is not the right
one, I do apologise.)

Currently, Character Palette's default palettes are organised by base
letter. For example:
áàâãäåæª
éèêëæ

This is useful for finding the letter you need, but less useful for
typing in any one language: one has to keep switching palettes. The
solution: also offer palettes containing the special of (groups of)
languages. Here are the examples for German and (lowercase-)French:
äöüÄÖÜß»«
âêîôûàèéïÿç«»
(German uses inward-pointing guillemets as quotmarks, French
outward-pointing ones.)

Does this sound like a good idea? If yes, I'll follow up with a list
of Things I Should Find Out and Things I Should Do. (Thankfully,
Character Palette seems to be Latin-scripts–only, at least
at present. That makes things easier.)

Regards,

Sietse
Sietse Brouwer