Re: Module proposal: dconf

Hi

Just my 10cents piece, as I'm afraid I'm not really involved
in the decision.

As a new maintainer - about six month on nautilus-actions -
I've already had to migrate from Gvfs to GIO, from libglade
to GtkBuilder, and, obviously, soon from GConf to dconf.

In GIO and in GtkBuilder, I had to suffer of regressions,
whether some api didn't exist in the new product (mostly
uri parsing in GIO), or bugs that were not fixed before the
migration decision (GtkBuilder: the id is no more unique
inside of a toplevel, not even fix today - see #579345).

I'm not able to estimate how much the new products are better
that the previous ones, but I, and I think other developpers
too, would greatly appreciate if new products had at least
same functionalities than the one they replace.

Really, guys, developpers need a minimum of stability to be
efficient.

I don't even talk of advanced users that we ask to directly
edit their GConf system because lot of applications have
preferences only editable through GConf editor.

All, we work to build a better free desktop.
But migrating three times in six months without any visible
gain is a pain.

Regards
Pierre

PS: and sorry for my bad english - I do my best efforts ;-)