Re: Module proposal: dconf

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 10:54 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 15:54 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Take 20,000 distro Gnome users, what percentage of them do you think have
> > ever hand edited their configuration, what percentage do you think have
> > ever used things like gconftool. For that matter what percentage of
> > normal users do you think even understand the question "Have you ever
> > hand edited your gconf database"
>
> No doubt.  But ask that same question of sysadmins, and
> you'll probably get a different answer.

if a system administrator is hand (or script) editing a file in .gconf
then he or she is doing it wrong, as them kids say. the only tool that
should be allowed to touch the gconf database is gconftool, not sed or
vim.

I perfectly agree in principle: we need tools for accessing the settings
database. this issue is completely orthogonal to dconf, though, as dconf
is just storage, not the API you use to access the configuration.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,