Re: Module Proposal: GNOME Shell

Slightly late in the day with this follow-up, but here goes:

Owen Taylor <otaylor <at> redhat.com> writes:
> On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 11:19 +0300, Naba Kumar wrote:
> > Does gnome-shell work without graphics capabilities? A few days back I
> > tried it from ubuntu karmic repository (so the release might be a bit
> > old), but it didn't work without graphics acceleration support.
> We've always planned to require graphics acceleration.
This may just be me being slow, but I don't quite get this dependency,
for the following reasons:

* Moblin, which was also based on Clutter, worked without hardware
acceleration (admittedly not particularly fast, but usable).

* The visual effects in GNOME Shell don't look much beyond what Doom
2 was doing on my completely unaccelerated 486 fifteen years ago,
albeit with a lower resolution.  Furthermore, most of the time it is running
with windows mapped one-to-one.  Surely an optimised path would be
possible for this case?  I assume (am I wrong?) that that would be a
Clutter issue, not a GNOME Shell one.  I think that with this fixed, I could
happily live with slower, software rendered zooming windows (and I
suspect that the Clutter folks would quickly find some way to make it
work faster in software too).

Regards,

Michael