Re: Metacity towards GNOME 3.0

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 04:29:56PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Port to GSettings
[..]
> So our options here are:
>
>  - Leave everything in Metacity, keep requiring Metacity as a dependency
>    of Mutter. This isn't really a problem for GNOME 3.0, but we'd
>    like to drop this dependency eventually and the migration to
>    GSettings is a natural time to move things around.
>
>  - Have a separate module like gnome-wm-data with the GSettings schemas,
>    XML files and keys.
>
>  - Move the GSettings schemas and the closely linked keybinding XML
>    to gsettings-desktop-schemas and do something else for the theme
>    for Mutter. We could just switch Mutter to depend on
>    gnome-themes-standard and default to Adwaita.

 - Make Metacity depend on mutter?
   In a GNOME 3 world, Metacity is the fallback, so it could depend on
   Mutter (need to call it 3.0 anyway with gtk3 port). Perhaps a bit
   weird.

> I'm most in favor of the third option though there is some issue with

With 3rd option I wonder what gsettings-desktop-schemas should be
'desktop' as in GNOME or not. E.g. called desktop, but what about XFCE.
Anyway if you think my proposed option is ugly, then I'm in favour of
#3.

> Port to GTK+ 3.0
> ================
>  - We could just make it require GTK+ 3.0. This is my suggestion -
>    GNOME 3 is a GTK+ 3.0-based desktop. Metacity is the GNOME
>    (fallback) window manager. GTK+ 3.0 will be released as a
>    stable toolkit before Metacity 3.0 is released. If people need
>    to Metacity build against older GTK+, the older tarballs aren't
>    going to be removed from the website.

+1

--
Regards,