Re: Metacity towards GNOME 3.0

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 16:29 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
>  - We could just make it require GTK+ 3.0. This is my suggestion -
>    GNOME 3 is a GTK+ 3.0-based desktop. Metacity is the GNOME
>    (fallback) window manager. GTK+ 3.0 will be released as a
>    stable toolkit before Metacity 3.0 is released. If people need
>    to Metacity build against older GTK+, the older tarballs aren't
>    going to be removed from the website.

+1 from me as well.

There's another thing which came up on IRC - the theme format has been
extended in mutter, and it may be nice to port these changes to Metacity
as well. It would allow the fallback environment to use the new GNOME 3
default theme without the art people having to support two versions (the
theme format is ... not very nice).

Porting the changes should be pretty straight-forward, though the change
to version 3.2 raises another question - it adds a new frame type for
attached dialogs, which is a Mutter-only feature. It is optional, so we
could just
  #define meta_prefs_get_attach_modal_dialogs() FALSE
and only port the theme change, rather than porting the feature itself.

Florian