Re: Metacity towards GNOME 3.0

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 19:04 +0000, Rob Bradford wrote:

> >  - We could support dual building. This is tricky, but there exist
> >   patches developed for Mutter to do this that could be ported
> >   over. (Benjamin Otte spent quite a bit of time working on this,
> >   and then a week or so after the changes landed, we realized there was
> >   nobody still building Mutter against GTK+ 2, so it was pointless
> >   to carry the complexity.)
>
> There are various MeeGo projects at Intel where mutter is serious
> player; we'd like to move away from our "fork" to the GNOME version so
> Benjamin's work is certainly appreciated since despite trying hard I
> don't think we'll get GTK3 into the distribution in time for 1.2
> (release date scheduled for April.)

gtk+ 3.0 is slated to be released at the end of this month, so there
should be time to actually have it in time for MeeGo 1.2; what's most
likely not going to make it are the rest of the components of GNOME we
do still use on the Netbook UX.

I'd rather not have Mutter be complicated and burdened by ifdefs, if
that's going to cost the time (and sanity) of the maintainers.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name