Re: Volunteer needed: Snapshot live image project

I believe someone was maintaining an rpath appliance.  The live cds used to come from that some time ago.  I rather we only have one solution instead of multiple.  If Frederic is going to do it then I'll back off.

sri

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 07:20 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> >  * As automated as possible but no more so. We probably at least need
> >   some sort of manual QA to make sure that the top download link
> >   is for a snapshot that isn't entirely broken.
> >
> > Anybody interested in taking on this project?
>
> I've already started to work on a GNOME-Shell GIT ISO, using both OBS
> (http://build.opensuse.org/) which does now support source service,
> allowing easy packaging from git snapshots, and SUSE Studio to
> generate the ISO (or USB image) itself (also, I'd like to use OBS to
> generate the image, so it could be generate one time in a raw).
>
> In addition to your requirement (except maybe the prefix thing, but it
> can be easily modified), we could have automatic update handling for
> the GIT package, so people wouldn't have to regenerate their entire
> USB stick.
>
> Any opposition ?

While there are some appealing advantages to actually having the GNOME
bits on live CD built with jhbuild:

 * We get a 3-way uniform build process between build.gnome.org, the
  developers working on GNOME, and the live CD. If build.gnome.org
  is green, the live CD will work.

 * We are forced to do do everything in jhbuild and not add on extra
  stuff in the packaging layer to "make it work"

Really, any way we can get this going is good with me! The main point is
to get the latest code into the hands of users. Details like where
things are installed are definitely secondary. So, if you have something
going with OBS, that sounds great.

- Owen