Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:
>> What do you mean by this?  Every time I've tested on nvidia hardware
>> with the proprietary driver, shell performance has been totally
>> usable.  It's not lightning fast, but I don't think any hardware
>> change would fix that.
>
> Usable is a rather hard to quantify thing. "Not lightning fast" to some
> people (me included) for example is not particularly usable. For me it
> took until about Fedora 11/12 before even the compositing was efficient
> enough on intel video to leave it turned on without making gimp unpleasant
> to work with.

I don't disagree.  My point was merely that I was not aware of any
performance issues unique to Nvidia hardware.  I've seen gnome-shell
on Intel and ATI hardware as well, and performance is essentially the
same as on my Nvidia.  Your response seems to confirm that to some
degree.

I thought maybe Frederic was referring to some specific bug that I'd
be curious to learn more about.

Sandy