Re: Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

I generally agree with what you said, so I won't reply to every thing.

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 15:44 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>
> wrote:
>         by the way, this whole thread is pretty angry and
>         confrontational - or,
>         at least, it feels a lot that way.
>
> It has.  I think though as a project we're not quite managing this as
> well as we could.  Not enough context for the changes we are making
> and we've always been kind of poor in communicating these things.
> When there is a lack of real information in the overall structure of
> what  Gnome 3.0 means.  So we have these discussions about applets
> going away in a vacuum without really explaining the underlying
> reasons why we are doing so.  When we don't get the reasons then we
> get into these rat holes.

I don't want the release-team to justify every single decision they
make; the release-team mailing list archives are public, and so are the
release team IRC meetings, AFAIK. democracy^WGNOME is made by those who
show up.

I consider the release-team as the "maintainers" of GNOME as a project;
I don't go questioning the decisions of a maintainer, unless I'm willing
to put my ass on the line and come up with a better alternative.

if we need a "community manager" -- somebody that proxies (both ways)
the release team/module maintainers and the community -- then we should
ask the Foundation to look into this matter.

> I think people just want to know what the final thing is going to look
> like.

I understand that feeling, but there is no "final thing": GNOME 2.x
arrived at the dot-32 minor release, and it's still not done - the
reason we're chucking away a bunch of stuff is precisely because it
cannot be "done" in any other way (yes, it's true: it cannot be done in
any other way; otherwise we'd be releasing GNOME 5.2 by now). the final
thing is going to look slightly different in every cycle, because that's
how GNOME 2.x started as well.

I also don't want GNOME to be in the state where we can say that "it's
done", because that implies the death of the project.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name