Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

Le mercredi 29 décembre 2010 à 15:22 -0500, William Jon McCann a écrit :
> Again, our message should be simple: if you don't have hardware that
> will work - don't upgrade.  Ideally, OS installers should be able to
> provide a crystal clear indication to the user (probably by actually
> trying to run a similar shell).  Or rather, ideally we'd design or
> certify hardware.
That's not realistic. Distributions won't allow people to choose between
GNOME 2 and 3, which means people will be forced to stick to releases
that will become unsupported soon. And these people have no way to know
whether GNOME 3 will work on their machine until they have upgraded and
they are running the latest drivers.

There should really be a Classic GNOME that is indeed a fallback because
it's not as cool as the Shell, but that works mostly as well as GNOME 2.
It's OK if we lose a few weird applets, but not if gnome-panel loses
significant features people will miss badly.

Regards