Re: External Dependency Proposal: libappindicator

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 23:20 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> If you are proposing an API that
> directly conflicts with something that is already provided in GTK+,
> you should really have a better one...

I guess I don't feel like it's a conflict.  I feel like it's an
extension similar to how other libraries use parts of GTK,
libappindicator uses GtkStatusIcon.  An add-on if you will.

> Looking at the api docs to get beyond license questions, I see
>
> void app_indicator_set_menu (AppIndicator *self,
>                                             GtkMenu *menu)
>
> If this does what I think it does (proxy part of a widget hierarchy
> over dbus), this is not a very supportable API. GtkMenuItems are
> generic containers, you certainly don't support all the things that
> people think of stuffing into menus.

One of our goals was to make it very easy for application developers to
add this new functionality into their applications.  When looking at
what the applications already had, this was menus, so we went with that.
I don't think it's in any way perfect.

> It would be much cleaner to
> either expose the underlying dbus api or proxy something that is
> explicitly designed with this in mind: GtkActions.

That's a great idea.  What do you think would be a good API/name for a
function that did that?  Do you think it should take an array of actions
or some sort of root action?  Do you think that the function that takes
a GtkMenu * should be deprecated?

		--Ted