Re: (L)GPLv3

Hey Ryan,

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Ryan Lortie <desrt desrt ca> wrote:
> hi Vincent,
>
> On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 09:26 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
>> Do you feel okay with the idea of allowing proprietary apps to use our
>> platform but not GPLv2 apps?
>
> In short, yes.
>
> Anybody who has an application that is GPLv2-only and has accepted
> enough contributions that it has become an unreasonable proposition to
> relicense has made a significant mistake.  I don't want to punish them
> or anything, but they are the ones who picked a licence that prevents
> them from linking against just about anything.

At least one company in our ecosystem has been, at least in some
cases, writing GPLv3-only code.  Which seems like an odd choice to me
that probably needs some justification.

There have been a couple emails back and forth from the FSF to attempt
to clarify how GPLv3-only interacts with GPLv2+ etc code.  The FSF
compatibility matrix doesn't really address that.

I would suggest that the people who want to use GPLv3 make their own
case for it, publicly.

Thanks,
Jon