Re: GNOME 3.0 in March 2011

From: Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>

> Given that apps that wanted to port to GSettings are already ported, I
> really don't see why we're advising to use GTK+ 2.x/3.x selection at
> configure-time when we've been telling people to target GTK+ 3.x.

I don't understand this "apps that wanted to port to GSettings". I
understood that it wasn't exactly optional, and "gnome" "advice" all
applications to move to gsettings. Of course you could not do that,
but in that case your application "is not doing the correct thing".

> Speaking about my modules, I will not accept any changes to make them
> work with GTK+ 2.x again, nor would I want people to waste their times
> doing that.

Speaking about modules like orca. Joanmarie told me that it seems that
you need pygi to the gsettings migration, but what I understood is
that pygi (pyobject?) will not be finished until October.

And about migration to gtk3.0, after a quick review on pygi [2],
pyobject [3], pygtk [4] and the "pygtk and gtk3.0" email [5], I have
the feeling that it is not clear how python gtk 2.0 applications would
migrate to gtk 3.0, somewhat messy in fact. That also affects
accerciser, caribou, etc.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> I suggest you mention what you actually want 2.32 to be before asking
> people to write more code than they already did.

A explaination of what it is required from part of the applications
would be good, for example what it is expected related to gsettings
and gtk 3.0 to this release.

BR

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/GSettingsMigration
[2] http://live.gnome.org/PyGI