Re: Modulesets Reorganization

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org> wrote:
> In summary, this means that the GNOME releases would be composed by the
> following modulesets:
>  - Desktop
>  - Platform
>  - Extended Platform
>  - Mobile

These are great, but are really missing Applications.

> The long term plan for the GNOME applications that were removed from the
> Desktop, Admin and Dev Tools modulesets is to simply highlight the high-quality
> applications using the GNOME platform through our communication channels
> (release notes, website, etc). There will be no "official" apps anymore and no
> 'Applications' moduleset in the GNOME releases. The goal here is be more open
> with the app developer community around GNOME and to highlight all the nice
> things that can be created using our platform.

And this might do the exact opposite of what we all want it to do.
Instead of sending a "you are now all equal" message it might
communicate that "you are now equally not worthy". Or just "you are
now on the same level" even if the level of integration and sheer
polish is nowhere to be compared.

It will also kill the "magic moment" I experienced twice - once when I
helped Daniel with Cheese and a second time when hacking on Hasmter
with Toms. The moment that comes after weeks of mad hacking when you
decide your work is finally good enough to become part of GNOME.

What I propose is keep the Applications moduleset, keep the release
schedule and the approval process. Just lift the requirement of being
hosted on GNOME servers. As long as there still is a bugzilla module
and someone reads the bugs we should be ok (not using GNOME git will
mean no i18n/l10n support but that's up to the developers). As
Applications are not Desktop, we are fine to have a gazillion of music
players and hundreds of text editors in there.

--
Patryk Zawadzki