Re: Call to maintainers: GNOME 2.31 to ship GTK 2.90

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 18:36 +0200, Xavier Claessens wrote:
>> Once they are all released and parallel installable (we would like to
>> not lose gtk2 compatibility), we are ready to make the move :-)
>
> Why is losing GTK2 compatibility a problem? It shouldn't matter. You
> could create a gnome-2-32 branch and make changes there if you wanted.

I can't speak for Xavier, but some of us maintain applications for
which the latest version is commonly in demand from users of older
distros, and maintaining a separate branch is a fair amount of work if
you're the only one doing testing, QA, and release management.

There's no way I can consider dropping GTK2 compatibility from Tomboy
for the next year or so, for example.  I don't have the resources to
maintain two versions.

A separate but related issue is that unless somebody plans to update
gtk-sharp, Tomboy may not be GTK3 compatible this cycle (I don't know
off-hand what parts of gtk-sharp may be incompatible with GTK3).  Do
other non-C apps have similar issues, or is this just a problem with
the Mono bindings?

Sandy