Re: GSettings migration status

hi Łukasz,

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 16:50 +0200, Łukasz Jernaś wrote:
> Also may I have one question? Do GSettings support
> internationalisation of the schema files like gconf did? There
> certainly are no intltool or m4 macros for that.

The internationalisation of schema files in GSettings works slightly
differently.  It's mentioned in the porting guide that I linked to in my
last email, but I'll provide a brief recap here:

Translation is supported via gettext for the <summary> and <description>
text fields in the schema file (ie: for display in the editor).
Translation is also supported via gettext for the default values for
keys.

Support here is not entirely complete: there is remaining the issue of
how to get the source strings for translation from the schema files and
into the .po file template.  I've written a patch for intltool but so
far I've not had luck in getting it reviewed.  That's here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/intltool/+bug/580526

Until that is merged, some people are doing their own solutions.  gedit,
for example is using <_summary> and <_description> to mark translations,
and having the generic XML support in intltool work based on that.  I
don't encourage this approach, but it might be a suitable stop-gap.

Cheers