Re: Libtool versioning made easy (was Re: Converting libraries and plugins to use gtk3

On 06/30/2010 04:26 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 15:43 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
>> In your src/Makefile.am add "-version-info $(LT_VERSION_INFO)" to your
>> library's LDFLAGS.
>
> Or you could just do it directly:
>
> libX11_la_LDFLAGS = -version-number 6:3:0 -no-undefined
>
> gives you libX11.so.6.3.0.

Using straight major.minor.micro is actually a good idea too.  Maybe we should
do that.  The only difference with my scheme is that my scheme assumes that
individual releases in a devel series all add new interfaces whereas using
major.minor.micro directly assumes that no point releases adds new interfaces
(stable or not).  Both assumptions are wrong, but mine is on the safe side.
The only reason I like your proposal is that I don't think anyone makes any
assumption about minor .so version anyway...

behdad