Re: Platform for Developer Documentation

2010/3/7 Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu ubuntu com>:
> On 07/03/10 22:16, Shaun McCance wrote:
>> I'm going to focus on the following programming languages:
>>
>> * C
>> * C++
>> * Java
>> * JavaScript
>> * C#
>> * Perl
>> * Python
>
>> I'm going to begin sketching out the content plan for
>> the Platform Overview based on this.  If I've forgotten
>> something, please tell me.  If you feel strongly that
>> anything I mentioned should not be pushed, speak up.
>
> Looks like you forgot Vala.

Yeah, I know some people has the feeling that Vala is a toy language,
however, is the language with the best gobject introspection support
and I think it has a lot to add to the GNOME learning/community
building story, given that it is easy to approach and at the same time
it produces libraries that everyone can reuse (btw, Vala native
libraries can output perfect GIR files so you get introspection out of
the box with it).

I think we should give less priority to C when it comes to
documentation in the site, C is fine for the guys working whithin the
platform, but is not the best choice for application developers. Vala,
Python, Mono and C# are probably the best targets in this regard and
we should promote them to have even more relevance than C where
possible (with ease of access to the people looking for the C docs
anyway).