Re: Platform for Developer Documentation

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 10:23 -0600, Brian Cameron wrote:
> However, I do think more energy should be focused on the truly
> cross-platform interfaces that everybody uses.  At the very least, the
> documentation should avoid making assumptions about these sorts of
> interfaces being used by everyone.  Especially when information about
> these interfaces are mentioned in the documentation for truly cross-
> platform interfaces.  For example, if the docs for a desktop
> application like totem or nautilus needs to discuss udev of PolicyKit,
> it should be made clear that not everybody uses these and that other
> mechanisms may need to be used on some distros.

OK, I was anticipating this being a hot topic.  Conversations
have been civil so far (thanks everybody), but let me try to
preempt nastiness with a proposal.

In the Platform Overview, for each technology, we can make a
note of which platforms it's available/encouraged on.  We can
even link those into pages which list the approved technologies
for that platform.  This would also give us a way to highlight
how our platform can be used to create applications for other
operating systems, or even on special Gnome-based platforms.

This, of course, opens a new can of worms.  I am not going to
list every distro under the sun.  Lumping GNU/Linux together
won't work, because there's differences with PackageKit.

--
Shaun