Re: Reminder : do NOT hardcode deprecation flags in tarball / new tarballs NEEDED

On 3/11/10 11:09 AM, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 19:05 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
>> Since I'm the release team member taking care of 2.29.92 release, I'm
>> going to rant again against modules which are hardcoding deprecation
>> flags in their configure.in (or Makefile.am), even when building from
>> tarballs. Please, avoid that, it is killing us, since many released
>> modules are not building with latest gtk+ 2.19.7 (new deprecated added).
>> If you want to use deprecation flags, check in configure.in if you are
>> in a git checkout and enable them in that case, but do not enable them
>> by default in tarballs.
>
> I assume the GNOME_MAINTAINER_MODE_DEFINES macro is our preferred means
> of addressing this since it exists in gnome-common?  It uses maintainer
> mode to determine whether to enable deprecation flags.

AM_MAINTAINER_MODE is of debatable (and debated) value.  If you are
unaware of this, the Automake manual can fill you in.

The question of whether one wants deprecation flags has pretty much
nothing to do with what AM_MAINTAINER_MODE does; and it also seems
unwise to attach this functionality to something as controversial as
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden endoframe com>