How to make GNOME better for Netbooks?

Hi, I'm looking how to make GNOME better for users of small screen
Netbooks (7"). I have numerous users with7" screen netbooks and stock
GNOME is almost unusable on such a system, that is why I'm looking for
some help to make the GNOME experience on such systems better.

Is there any work being done on making Notification Area applet
better? I found http://live.gnome.org/AlternativeNotificationsUI but
last comment there is back from 2008, it this project dead? Is there
any alternative to Notification Area that makes hiding some icons
possible?

Some users have pointed at an alternative to "Windows list" applet
called DockbarX, and from what I have seen it looks promising.

Do you have some examples and guidelines how to customize GNOME for Netbooks?

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Valent.

--
pratite me na twitteru - www.twitter.com/valentt
blog: http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com