Re: Versioned symbols for 3.0?

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 17:24 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> Today Elan Ruusamäe and me spent some time making glibc compile with
> versioned interfaces for exported symbols.
>
> The ultimate goal is being able to automatically detect at link time
> that program A requires library B implementing at least version X of
> the interface and embedding such information in packages
> automatically. Just like we do for glibc with its GLIBC_x_y
> interfaces.

One interesting use of symbol versioning could be just adding a single
symbol version to all symbols in Gtk+ (and stack) for 3.0. This could
get us part of the way towards supporting linking Gtk 2.x and 3.0 into
the same app (not something I recommend, but possibly useful for weird
stuff). Of course, there will still be some issues with that, like the
gtk3 gtypes having names that conflict with the gtk2 ones, but that
could theoretically be fixed.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a scrappy Catholic Green Beret from a doomed world. She's a disco-crazy
green-skinned magician's assistant with an incredible destiny. They fight
crime!