Re: Versioned symbols for 3.0?

On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 01:11 +0900, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 18 mai 2010 à 12:32 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> > > As for not wanting to use versioned symbols, could you provide
> more
> > > information why such a decision was made?
> >
> > I can't speak for Matthias, but I guess it's because no one pointed
> out what
> > currently-existing problem exactly it's trying to solve.
>
> The use case that Patryk mentioned is a bit RPM-specific. As Emilio
> explained, DEB-based distros have other mechanisms to cope with this,
> and AFAIK Gentoo isn’t really affected by versioning issues.

Gentoo is not affected by this specific issue.

However there are problems with change of the ABI packages in general -
like from jpeg 6->7 or libpng 1.2->1.4. They results in "massive"
rebuilding even if lafilefixer and --as-needed are used[1]. Keeping old
symbols would allow to avoid rebuilds (however if gtk+/gobject does not
change ABI it is not affected at all).

Regards

[1] Both techniques combined are for keeping only direct references in
the ELF files and libtool files so that if A uses symbols from B and B
uses symbols from C but A does not uses symbols from C then if C changes
ABI only B needs to be rebuild.