Re: [Fwd: Proposing new external dependency for Empathy: libfolks]

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 13:11 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 25/05/2010 alle 11.07 +0200, Frederic Peters ha scritto:
> > New Dependencies
> > =====================
> >
> > empathy depends on:
> >   libfolks
> >
> > libfolks depends on:
> >   telepathy-glib Vala bindings [3] (should be in telepathy-glib 0.11.6)
> > for building
> >
> > telepathy-glib Vala bindings depend on:
> >   gobject-introspection
> >   vala > 0.8.1 (first release to include fix for bgo #618660 [4])
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this means we'll need something like
> this
>
>   telepathy                e-d-s
>       |                      |
>       V                      V
>     telepathy-vala     e-d-s-vala
>                 |      |
>                 V      V
>                 libfolks
>
> in order to have a "persona" object that could share info from both
> sources?

Hi Luca,

Just to clarify a little, it would look like this:

  telepathy                e-d-s
      |                      |
      V                      V
    telepathy-vala     libebook-vala
                |      |
                |      |
   +--------+---+------+-----------+
   |libfolks|   |      |           |
   +--------+   V      V           |
   |      TpPersona   EPersona     |
   |               \ /             |
   |                V              |
   |            Individual         |
   |                |              |
   +----------------+--------------+

              <applications>

E-d-s Vala bindings aren't strictly a requirement here, though they
would have to be manually bind pieces of libebook in libfolks if not. On
the other hand, Rodrigo mentioned an interest in adding
gobject-introspection notation to e-d-s (and a libfolks eds-backend), in
which case the Vala bindings should be practically "free".

In most cases, end-user applications will only care about Individuals,
which are made of 1 or more Personas. The Personas will be exposed, in
case they're useful (for instance, TpPersona exposes its TpContact from
telepathy-glib, so you can initiate chats, audio/video calls, etc.).

Getting Individuals, from the the application perspective, is as easy as
getting the FolksIndividualAggregator and hooking up a handler for
"individuals-added".

-Travis