Re: Consolidating Core Desktop libraries

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 11:13 +0100, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 22:33 +0100, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>
> > There is a lot of code which is copy-pasted around our desktop. For
> > example, the GsdOsdWindow class, used by gnome-settings-daemon and
> > gnome-power-manager, had to be updated several times because of Gtk
> > breakages.
> > Another piece of copy-pasted code is gdmuser, which lives in
> > gnome-panel, gdm and gnome-shell, and is constantly being updated
> > because of accountsservice instability.
> >
> > Then there are microlibraries, killing which would help performance.
> > These include for example libgtop, libgweather and libgnomekbd, but also
> > liboobs if the system tool backends are not dead.
> > I can't find an use for them outside core desktop, while on the other
> > hand there are already core desktop packages that depend on them.
>
> I'd say no, as I think you mix quite different things here. Libraries
> such as libgtop and libgweather already have no API guarantees, and have
> never been part of the core desktop, so I can't really see the benefit
> of mixing them all into a single giant module (not counting the
> coordination issues you might have in a library module with dozens of
> completely different submodules, each one with a different maintainer
> and so on).

Not to mention that libraries like these may pull in new dependencies
into gnome-desktop and thus all processes in the desktop.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a sword-wielding zombie werewolf in drag. She's a pregnant
French-Canadian cab driver with an evil twin sister. They fight crime!