Re: ThreePointOne: Contacts

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 10:27 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 09:29 -0700, Travis Reitter wrote:
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/telepathy/2011-March/005369.html
> > [4]
>
> This seems to talk about querying contacts from slow social web
> services. Additionally if this is to be our story in evolution too we
> need to be able to efficiently handle ldap contacts, which are really
> important for enterprise deployments of email. This also needs a live
> search approach, because we can't rely on a local copy of all ldap data.

I'm considering two different cases: "shallow searching" (which is
basically returning a client a filtered set of contacts) and "deep
searching" (actually querying remote stores for more information). I
haven't decided whether this difference will be exposed to clients or
not yet. Either way, we'll be streaming in the contacts, so the client
shouldn't need to care for most use cases.

-Travis